A friend's post told a story of a recipe that she got from her mom that she now makes for her family. That got me thinking of what recipe of my mom's do I make with some measure of skill.
Sheppard's Pie is that recipe. I had no idea growing up that she used leftovers, but once I learned that my cooking actually improved. Who knew? Of course she made other good dishes, and we were all pretty good at eating them but there was the time she tried serving escargot to us... can't see that being a tradition here, but it's something to tell the kids:
"You don't like my cooking? Have I ever told you how Nana fed us snails? You will eat your dinner and thank me for it mister... or I'll pull out Nana's cook book!"
(Do I hear a whisper of "There are starving kids out there who'd love to have half this much food")
Yup, bribery and threats. Do I know how to parent or what?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well if Mom actually had a cookbook, I could reference it. Sadly I can only regale my children of the horrors that stood in place of cooking.
Post a Comment