Saturday, February 28, 2009

My latest project... or Why on earth did I agree to another thing when I've already got so much going on, but here it is anyways!

My brother is 26, and single in a bachelor pad, living in the city away from the rest of us. Last summer, my DH thought that it would be a great idea if for Christmas we made a quilt for my brother, where each square would be from different family members.

I should mention here, that when DH said "we should make a quilt" invariably means "me". Not him. Just me. But I knew that. I've been around him long enough to have that understanding.

Still, I thought the idea was great, and since Christmas was six months away, I'd have lots of time to get it done.

WRONG.

But then, it wasn't all under my control.

We (I) got the material cut for squares and sent them out to the family members with just simple decorating instructions: It had to be washable, this is the colour scheme, and get it back to us (me) by November so we (I) can assemble the quilt and mail it to him in time for Christmas. Simple, right?

Well, I got the last few squares back in this month. February. Two months after Christmas. And about three weeks away from when I was leaving town and would be visiting with my brother. Any sane person would tell their family that they delayed it and I'd have to leave it for next Christmas.

But my brother's birthday is coming up around the time we're visiting.

And, well, I'm not just any sane person.

So I started the quilt. Considering it's been over 12 years since I last made one, and I was just doing it from memory - no handy book of step-by-step-directions-no-sirree-not-me-because-I'm-just-nuts-like-that, it's almost done.

And I'm fairly pleased with it!

There are a few errors, but they would only be seen by a serious quilter, like my MIL, who's going to see it tomorrow. The point is, my brother will never know.

I still have to put on the outside border, and the backing, but that's for tomorrow. This is what the quilt looks like otherwise though:


Each square from a different family member, reflecting different memories of my brother.
I love it. It's not perfect, and I love it even more for that.

No comments: