If you don't understand the title of this post, then I bet you're B.O. *snicker*
This past weekend I was very fortunate to meet with (in real life) two people whom I have been chatting with online for several years. Years! One I first connected with around 2001, the other around 2006. I had such a great time, and even though it was the first time we got together, after so many years of corresponding it felt so comfortable, like we get together all the time.
We went canoeing, horseback riding, geocaching, swimming (relaxing) in the hot springs, ate in, ate out, drank Bailey's and chatted and talked and stayed up way too late.
One of the most relaxing holidays I've ever had! If only I didn't live so far away so that I could meet more of my flybaby friends.
Great memories - including going through security at the airport on my way home. My bag was well packed (I flew with only a carry-on so I would be able to make my connection more easily) and so when it went through the scanner it required a more thorough check.
No problem; I kinda expected that, and I had plenty of time.
Then the agent did the chemical swab, and the computer beeped.
"I'm just going to retest it to see if that was just an anomaly" she was ever so sweet.
The computer beeped again.
"I'm going to have to ask you to step over here while I call my supervisor"
Sweetness is gone, she's all business now.
The supervisor takes my passport and asks me a bunch of questions and fills out a form. She finally pauses and I ask what was going on.
The swab showed traces of chemicals used in explosives, and she needed to know where I've been and who I've been with. (This is where outside I remain calm but inside I'm going OMG! How can this be happening! I don't understand!)
Turns out that if you go horse riding, then pack your dirty clothes and carry on that bag, their computer will pick up the minuscule fertilizer remains. Fertilizer is somehow an explosive ingredient. I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere, but I'll just leave it at that.
Both my bags were thoroughly searched, and I was completely patted down. All the while I'm checking what time it is and trying not to cringe when the agent is cramming things back in my bag even though there was plenty of room. Then she said thank you, everything was fine, and I was free to go.
I grabbed my bags and headed down the hall then let out a big sigh, I was going to make my plane on time. Yay!
Kudos to the security agents for doing a good job. Except the bag packing thing, but everything survived. And kudos to my friend who got me to the airport with plenty of time to spare.
No kudos to the flight that left 20 minutes late though. Although it gave me time to down a beer while I was waiting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment