Sunday, May 17, 2009

Backpacking Trip - I did it!

Scouter Mom here. (I've been officially asked to become a Scout leader next year... I'm contemplating it - I've been having too much fun with being a parent helper on the camping trips, but that's a whole other post)

The Plan:

C Lake Backpacking Trip: 12 km hike - (each way!), pack our own gear and food and a share of the group gear. 10 boys, 1 girl, 3 leaders.

Thoughts before the trip:

  • What have I gotten myself into! Ahhh it'll be fun.
  • It's snowing! ARGHHH
  • Did I remember everything? Good thing ds11 reminded me about the t.p.
  • This pack weighs 40 pounds already? Carp.
  • Do I really need a sleeping pad?
  • These shoes will work great.
  • That's all I've got for food? Okaaaayyyy
  • Am I just fooling myself with this tin can stove?
Thoughts after the trip:

  • Make sure the ice has opened up before I pack my fishing gear.
  • Pack Ibuprofen for pain relief, not Midol. It will work, but apparently it also has enough caffeine in it to keep me lying awake.
  • Ouch. Two blisters. But they're little. Ish.
  • The pad was nice, but my tent was in a mossy spot and the ground wasn't too cold and I have a good bag - I could have gotten away without it this time. Maybe.
  • I had lots to eat, I only came home with leftover butter and some milk powder. It was great tasting and filling.
  • The tin can stove worked better then when I tested it at home. This size is good for one or two people.
  • I've got bony clavicles where the shoulder straps are. OUCH!
We:

  • saw some bear tracks
  • saw some moose tracks
  • saw lots of wolf tracks
  • heard the wolves howling way off in the morning
  • found a geocache
  • didn't catch any fish
  • talked about the pros and cons of the tin can stove vs. the fuel stoves. The kids were impressed with it, especially when ds11 and I were eating while they were still waiting for their turn on the group stoves. I was surprised at that - both in the kids being impressed with such a simple thing, and that we were eating sooner then they were. But maybe the kids were just wishing they had their own little fire to play with.
When the scouts lined up at the end to get the badge they earned for this trip, I got in line too. You bet I earned it!

Will I do it again next year? Probably, but will someone remind me about the Ibuprofen?

No comments: