Friday, May 15, 2009

How to feed 20 kids with 2 spoons

*Be ready to duck... I'm on a rant and I need to scream to get it out so I can get to work*

I volunteer at the school breakfast program. We have a cupboard in the kitchen, separate from the school supplies, that contains our food and dishes, and this cupboard is kept locked. LOCKED. LABELED "BREAKFAST PROGRAM ONLY". I think that sign is fairly clear.

Yet dishes still get 'borrowed' from our locked cupboard, and very often the volunteers come in and meet this challenge:

HOW TO FEED 20 KIDS WITH 2 SPOONS

1) Go up to the office
2) Try to smile
3) Ask the receptionist to use the intercom to ask all the teachers to return dishes to the kitchen immediately
4) Go back down to the kitchen and start washing those 2 spoons over and over so it can be passed on to the next kid all the while you start SEETHING at the inconsiderate and illiterate unknown being who took the key, unlocked the cupboard, stole the dishes, and 'forgot' to return them the same day. Meanwhile, unknown teachers send down cute innocent children who come in with dirty cups and smile sweetly while they ask "where can I put these?"

Illiterate being? Yup, they reach right past the sign that says:
Do NOT 'borrow' the dishes; we use them EVERYDAY and it is hard to feed 20 kids with 2 spoons!

If anyone has suggestions as to which part of the message I am not clear on, please let me know so I can ensure our school full of highly trained, bilingual, professional beings will stop pissing me off.

*Rant is over. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.*

No comments: