Wednesday, October 22, 2008

This is what I've been up to...

I'm not a professional photographer, but I'll describe as best as I can what's in these pics, so you can have a little insight into what I've been playing around with. I mean working on.


This first picture shows the half of the yard that had the graveling and leveling and packing done last week. The last 2 1/2 days I have piled all my stock on it. It's all crammed in there, and heaven help me if a customer comes in and wants the perfect piece that's at the back at the very bottom.

You can see in the front the rougher ground that they haven't got to yet. That's more or less what I've been bumping around on the last three years. It really stinks when I hit the bump too hard and all the lumber on the forklift bounces off.

In the left top corner area if you squint and use your imagination, you can see the fort the boys built out of the scrap wood two years ago. I didn't have any trees strong enough to build a real tree fort in, and even if I did it would have been bulldozed over this week, so it's a good thing we built this fort up on stilts. It's turning grey as it weathers and is looking more and more rustic. The boys love it. They made the trap door just the right size for kids - and too snug for any adult who dares enter.



This picture shows the other side of the yard that they're still working on, now that I've got it all cleared off. That big grey blob is the garage tent, and it's just temporarily there until they've done the spot that it will be moved too. Hiding behind it is my log cabin office with a red roof. That's where I'm sitting right now blogging away... I mean working hard. It's about 150 feet away from where I took the picture.

See the mountain with the upside down V-shaped bit of snow? It's really bigger then it looks of course. That's our ski hill. When I look out the window with binoculars I can see the little specs of skiiers in the winter. Of course, I'm working too hard to stare out the window and daydream of skiing.

Those two shots show about 1/3 of the property. The rest is a lower level, and I'm not ready to expand that way yet. Someday. But if the cost of this yard work is any indication, it's going to be a long time before I can get that expense done. But that's fine with me, because there's more then enough to keep me out of trouble now.

No comments: