Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm challenging you to post...

So I heard something on the radio that got my attention today, and it made me think. I will share it with you in a moment, but first...

I want YOU to tell me what YOU think.

YOU CAN STAY ANONYMOUS! Or not, it's up to you, but I'm just curious about other's thoughts on this.

It's about American politics, and I'm Canadian, so I don't get a vote, but I do get to hear a lot of the media going on about the upcoming election.

So, think a bit if you like... but come back and tell me about it. I want to learn. I do not want people to be attacked for their opinions, so if you don't agree with someone else's thoughts then please do so respectfully.

What I heard was a father telling his daughter:
"Of course I'm going to vote for Obama. I'm just not going to put his sign on my lawn!"

My head was going all around this one. Is he embarrassed to show his neighbors who he supports? Is he racist - or not? What does this teach his daughter? Or is he just just a neat freak about his lawn?

Spill your thoughts people. Be it serious or sarcastic, just be real. Not sure about your opinion? Then add on your question. Maybe we can have our own debate.

2 comments:

insanelybusymomma said...

Well me for one, I'm not a fan of any kind of political yard signs so I don't put them in my yard. It would be kind of a mute point anyways as where I live...who in the world would see it? There has been a couple of times I have put them in my yard, but when I did, I not only put the canidate I liked sign in my yard, but the opponents as well. Really confused everyone as they went by, but first of all it was for a local election. In a town of 2,500 people, everyone knows everyone else, and with my job, pissing off an elected official ISN'T a wise idea. Plus I have enough "stuff" going on, I don't need that kind of grief at the cafe', grocery store, pharmacy or feed store. People can be terribly petty and passionate about their canadates. I've already gotten my share of crap for saying I'm not overly impressed with alot of the contenders for this election.

As for this guy, who knows what his deal is. My guess is that either he lives in a small town or he just doesn't feel the need to advertise his preference. I guess it could also be that he's sick of seeing those stupid signs all over the place and wants a break. (Which just happens to be another reason I don't want them in my yard.)

** miss shannon ** said...

Ok, I know the election is over... so I'm slow, there is a reason I have a blog about procrastination... that has only a couple of posts on it... lol... so for me the sign thing, I wouldn't put a sign up mainly because I think they are a waste of money and resources... Our federal election was weeks ago and I still see signs up, isn't that littering really... I just don't like them in principle...

As for the guy voting for Obama, who know what his issue was. Perhaps the neighbourhood he lived in was predominantly McCain supporters and a sign up was a risk of getting egged, or worse... everyone has their reasons for doing, or not doing, things I suppose, even if they don't seem clear or don't make sense to us.