Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Doing anything different today?

While I try throughout the year to reduce/reuse/recycle, this past winter I've upped it a notch by focusing on plastic, and trying not to buy any at all.

That is darn near IMPOSSIBLE I tell ya.

The good news is I have greatly reduced the plastic I do buy, and while there are days that I get home and realize that I forgot my challenge, overall I am making a difference.

Could you do it? Even just for one day? Go shopping and bring home no plastic at all? It will really make you think.

This is the blog that got me started. I've been baby stepping since last fall.

This is one article that convinced me. Imaging a new island in the middle of the ocean, increasing in size everyday, made completely from plastic garbage.

Metal, Glass, Wood... natural occuring materials that all break down without harming the ecosystem.

Plastic is forever. It breaks apart, not down. It gets tinier and tinier, and it is eaten by small and large fish and animals. Then humans eat the fish and the animals. Guess where that plastic is now?

Besides using cloth bags, what is one thing you do (or will stop doing) to reduce your plastic consumption?

1 comment:

~Cassie said...

No weirdness giggling, we re-assessed out water needs and are trying to reduce our consumption. California is in a state of drought after all. :) Next to tackle? Reusable bags. :/