Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I'm Cinderella, now where's my carriage?

Last night my inlaws were having us over for dinner, a belated birthday dinner for me with family who were visiting from out of town.

I raced home from work (a lumber yard) and jumped into the shower (believe me, spend a day at a lumber yard in the warm weather and you'll need a shower too) No way was I going to dinner without a shower.

When I was ready to get dressed, I reached for some clean jeans, then changed my mind and went to the closet. I found a dress. You read it right... a DRESS! I kinda forgot I had it, you know, cuz there's no point in dressing up for work. It's too much trouble trying to convince some guys that I work here to start with, let alone dressing up and looking, well, girly.

Then came the heels, and I brushed out my hair, and actually left it down instead of shoving it up in a pony tail. Quick peek in the mirror... OMG who's the stranger in the house! Oh, wait a sec, that's me.... *grin* "Look at me mom! The daughter you always wanted!"

"Wow", I thought as I looked at my reflection, "I really think I can pull this off."

Feeling all pretty and ready to show the world, I grab my keys, head out the door and go towards my lovely carriage...

Carp. I came home in the delivery truck. 20 years old, beatup, big step to get in... and the neighbours looking as I hike up my dress to try to make it onto the seat...

I did my part Fairy Godmother!!! Where the heck is my beautiful carriage???

Ever try to drive a stick-shift with a really stiff clutch in heels? I didn't break my ankle, but I sure worked out some new muscles in that one foot.

Dinner was lovely, and I was surprised but the number of guests that were there too. They were surprised by the dress. All in all a fun night out. My niece, who is girly-girl and doesn't usually hang out with me, wouldn't leave me alone.

But I should have made dh switch vehicles for the drive home, instead of entertaining the other neighbours with my attempts at getting into that truck again.

No comments: