I felt guilty, but it took me a few minutes to realize that I didn't feel guilty about quitting, I felt guilty about NOT feeling guilty. I hope you followed that!
This is my fifth year volunteering for this program. The last two year I co-ran it. My partner was responsible for the initial recruiting and organizing of volunteers, funding and year end duties. I was responsible for ongoing supplies, upkeep and filling in on days that volunteers couldn't make it in. Together we did really well, but last year was the end of her availability.
I know my strengths and weaknesses. The recruiting skill is not mine. It's a lot of phone work and
Knowing also that I don't want to be stretched thin, and that I wanted to volunteer with the Scouts this year, last June I told the old principal that they would need to find a new organizer for this year. He didn't tell the new principal. Then in August I talked to the school receptionist and told her the same thing. Somehow the new receptionist missed that memo too. Then two weeks after school started the vice principal emailed me and asked when I would get the program started... WTH?
Being the
Now into the third month, there is only one other person. Last year we had 10-12 people. This year they could only come up with one? They have the teachers filling in on the other days, sometimes just putting out granola bars. That's not a healthy breakfast!
I had everything set and organized for a new person to step in and carry on with no trouble. I included notes on issues that still needed to be addressed. It was a mess when I took over and it was running smoothly and in budget within my first year. I have already stayed on longer then I wanted to. They've had lots of notice, and I am moving on.
So I shouldn't feel guilty about not feeling guilty should I?
No comments:
Post a Comment