Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I Had A Holiday Arranged By My Own Event Coordinators

I had a holiday this past weekend. Everything was taken care of for me. It was a great deal too.

It was awesome, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

All of the food was provided, cooked and clean up taken care of. It was included with the rooms. I drove myself, but transportation would have been provided if requested. The company was great. The view was fantastic. The activities were fun and relaxing.

And all I had to do was pack my own bag and show up.

Intrigued?

My oldest son is a Scout, and while most of them are of the male persuasion, there are a couple female scouts. So, when they go on a camping trip, they need a female leader to join them.

That's where my holiday came in. I went camping at -20 degrees Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit). AND IT WAS FUN!

The scouts preplanned the trip, the menu, provided all the food, provided the camping gear, planned the activities, cooked the meals, did the dishes and so on and so on...

If you've ever planned your own camping trip, you know there's a lot of prep work. Post work too, making sure all the gear is dried out and put away for next time. I love camping, but that part of it can take a lot of time and can get overwhelming.

All I had to do was show up on time with my own gear and help supervise, and of course, stay warm. It was pretty easy really. I could be as involved as I'd like, or I could just step back and, uh, supervise.

I learned too. Can you start a fire in the woods with frozen grass and 2 matches? And still have one match left over? How do you dry dishes with frozen towels? And what do you cook on the second day when everything is frozen?

Why on earth would you need to know that? Eh, you never know when some skill that may seem odd to you can come in handy.

Not trying to scare you away from my little corner of the world. I like it here. The next scout trip is planned for the end of January; it could be 30 below zero. Celsius or Fahrenheit, that's cold.

I'll be enjoying every minute of it. Dreaming of my trip to Mexico, but still enjoying the snow.

Stay warm everyone!

No comments: