As far as bad days go, yesterday wasn't a disaster, but at the end of the day I was pretty down.
The day before had been really busy, so it wasn't until the morning that I realized I had missed a deadline to put in a bid on a tender. Not a huge sale, but a nice-sized one that I had a good chance of having the winning bid.
I had a customer who was supposed to get back to me a couple days earlier to order some custom products. When they finally called me it was too late to get them with the next shipment. There was nothing I could do to fix it, but she knew it was her fault. However it was a long phone call to tell me that when I really needed to be doing other stuff...
Another customer that I had been holding some product for was supposed to pick it up the day before. By the time I was able to track them down, they said the order was cancelled. WHEN WERE THEY GOING TO TELL ME? I was pretty ticked - I had other people calling for the same product and I could have had it sold twice over.
Add to all this I was tired from the busy day before, so I felt slow when I was trying to work outside. Just no motivation.
But the work day was almost over. Dh made me a delicious dinner, then I met up with the bike group for a nice two hour ride on my new bike. I got to visit with people I hadn't seen since last year, and my friend L was there too - hadn't seen her for awhile either.
Then she mentioned that her family is planning to move next year.
This is where it really hit me. I don't get really close to many people, and when I do get that closer friendship I really cherish it... but it has happened so many times that they move away. There is a transient population here, but it still gets me every time. I can't help wonder sometimes what is wrong with me that I can't keep a friend? It's not me, I know, but I still have my pity moments. This day just lead to me having a big pity moment. Big big pity. No tears, but I'm close.
The next thing that hit me... the pavement. After a nice two hour bike ride on some trails we got back to the parking lot. I know I was tired and not focussed (maybe I can blame that on my friend) so I decided to go to the truck in one direction, but I turned my wheel in the other. Realizing that wasn't right I hit the brakes - harder then necessary since brakes on a new bike work well. Really well. The bike stopped and I kept going. Scraped and bruised, but it's my ego that took the most damage.
I got home and got dh to put my bike away so I could ice my knee. And my shoulder. And my chin. The bruise on the other leg I didn't see until the morning. After that I went to bed. I was tired physically and emotionally. Sleep was all I could do.
So today I woke up well rested. Sore and bruised, but rested. Ready to move on and get things done again. I was feeling better until I got to work. It turns out that I screwed up on some bookkeeping again. Not that it was a really wrong way to do things, just that my computer system is different from hq's, and I have to do things a certain way to match their computer. Their computer, which I have no experience on, so I don't have a full understanding of how my actions screw up their day. Errors that I have no idea about until I get yelled at. Some things I just can't win.
So here I am on my lunch break trying to get my whininess and frustration out. Can I start my day over? Scratch that... It's 2 pm on Wednesday... I'm going to start my week over. I can do better then this crap.
It's time to move on.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment